Camden County History Alliance Marker Project*
*Click on the images below to learn more.
The land on which this Inn stands was purchased from Indian Chiefs Mohocksey, Tetsmcho, and Apperinges on September 10, 1677. At that time the area was a thickly forested wilderness, through which passed a portion of an ancient Indian trail, which would later become known as the “Long-a-Coming”. This trail ran from the Delaware River to the New Jersey shore and was one of the few east-west paths crossing the state. As settlers arrived in the area and started harvesting timber and farming, the trail became a road known as the “White Horse Pike”. It was on this road that David Albertson built the Spring Garden Inn in 1826 to serve weary travelers passing through the area. The Inn, along with the older Blue Anchor Inn owned by David’s father Josiah Albertson, became important stopovers for stagecoaches, where horses were changed and passengers could rest and refresh themselves. This was particularly important for stagecoaches that ran from Philadelphia to Cape May, and both Inns were located approximately halfway along this arduous journey. In 1854 the Camden and Atlantic Railroad to Absecon was built just behind the Inn. Woodburning trains stopped at a platform beside the tracks and passengers could walk the short distance to the Inn, stretch their legs and have a drink at the bar. The trains to Atlantic City no longer stop. The barns and stables that were located in the fields behind you across the road have long since disappeared, the new White Horse Pike was rerouted to the South and the Inn is now a private home.